From an historical, archaeological and cultural perspective Costa is the most important hamlet, because of its strategic position along an ancient significant trade route. Costa has been populated since at least the 4thc. AD, as evidenced by the remains of a Roman villa in Casola, and probably Costa was also nearby the ancient baptismal church (5th c. AD.), abandoned by the monks of Bobbio after the Lombard invasion of Rotari in 641.
The Benedictines returned to Costa at the end of the Thousand and built the church of San Martino, dropping the facade to the existing tower (9th c.) and following an architectural scheme, unusual in Italy.
The parish church houses a fine baptismal font in red porphyry dating back to the Low Middle Ages, a magnificent polychrome marble pulpit of the Baroque masters, dating to the mid ‘700, and a crucifix of the Maragliano’s school, important Genoese sculptor at the turn of the’ 600 and ‘700. The most precious jewel, however, is the Madonna of the Rosary by Bernardo Strozzi, one of the leading exponents of Italian Baroque painting. The work belongs to the young artist (1620), who worked on commission of noble Zino of Framura.
The ceiling of the church was painted by Raffaello Resio in 1900. On the apse is represented San Martino, one of the most beloved saints in the Middle Ages, and holder of the parish.
The bell tower, detached from the church at an unknown date, keeps the structure of a watchtower dating back to the Carolingian (9th c.). During this period the Franks built a defensive system in order to protect the coast from pirates Saracens.
The parish church of San Martino and the Carolingian tower can be visited, free of charge. To book a visit please call the guide at the mob number +39 339/5433923 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Guided tours of Framura’s hamlets available upon request)